The Building Networks and Leading the way are two efforts by the NWT Seniors’ Society to prevent the abuse of older adults.
The objectives of this project are:
- To identify recent/current elder abuse awareness, intervention, prevention practices in the various regions of the Northwest Territories;
- To facilitate the establishment of information networks and share information on best/promising practice to address all aspects of elder abuse in the various regions of the Northwest Territories;
- To develop support networks for those involved in addressing elder abuse in the various regions of the Northwest Territories.
There are three distinct phases to this project and these are outlined as follows:
Phase I – Information Gathering
This activity is now complete. Lutra Associates Ltd was contracted by the Society to carry out this work. The research document entitled: Making Connections Building Networks to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults Phase I Research Report
Phase II – NWT-Wide Symposium
This phase was completed during November 30 and December 1, 2010 at the Explorer Hotel in Yellowknife. A number of presentations were shown at the symposium. The following presentations were made:
- RCMP NWT Statistics and Police Response
- Department of Health and Social Services
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- The University of Victoria – Response-Based Approaches to people who have been harmed by violence
- Keynote Address
- Promising Approaches to Addressing Elder Abuse
- Preliminary Phase 1 Findings
The symposium objectives:
- Provide an opportunity to network and share experiences as well as best/promising practice to address the abuse of older adults; and
- To begin the process of developing regional and community support networks to address the issue of the abuse of older adults in the NWT.
Access the Symposium report: Making Connections Building Networks to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults – Symposium Report
Phase III – Internet, Information and Support Network Development
The Society, together with its partners on the Project Steering Committee have developed a document: Making Connections Building Networks to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults A Framework for Action. Work will begin soon to develop a detailed work plan based on the findings and recommendations presented in the reports on Phase I & II and the Framework for Action Document.
Leading the Way
On November 8-9, 2011, the NWT Seniors’ Society held a workshop: Leading the Way – The Work Continues: Planning for a Territorial Network to Prevent Older Adult Abuse. The following report summarizes the proceedings: Leading the Way Workshop Report
The following document and presentations were presented to participants: