Creating Safe Communities for Older Adults Workshop:
Workshops on Creating Safe Communities for Older Adults have been conducted in a number of communities over the past several months. The goal of these workshops is two-fold:
- Raise awareness and educate about abuse of older adults; and
- Engage the community in the development of an action plan to address abuse of older adults through a community support network
The two-day events facilitated by Society staff are part of a larger project of the NWT Seniors’ Society entitled Leading the Way, Networking to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults. The Society is carrying out this work in partnership with the recently created NWT Network to Prevent Abuse of Older Adults. Funding is being provided by the HRSDC, New Horizons for Seniors Program and the GNWT Departments of Health and Social Services and Executive.
The workshop generally includes different PowerPoint presentations, providing an overview of the Society and topics discussed during the two days. They are also sometimes used by guest speakers, such as the local RCMP detachment representatives. While each presentation is adapted to the specific community, here are some examples of resources used:
- Welcome and Overview Presentation
- Overview of NWTSS
- Community and Regional Support Networks
- Neighbours Friends and Family It’s Not Right
- Neighbours Friends and Family YOU Power
- NFF Scenario Overview
- What Can We Do Presentation
- Yellowknife Family Violence Protocol Presentation
- Yellowknife Interagency FV&Abuse Protocol
- Family Violence Toolkit
- Improving Responses Family Violence Toolkit Summary
- RCMP Elder Abuse Presentation
Following each workshop, we create a report with an overview of the main issues, solutions, and goals discussed by participants. Here are some of the reports from past workshops:
Other Community Outreach/Workshops
A Plan for Action: Respect our Elders Stop the Abuse – This is the document that has guided the NWT Seniors’ Society since 2004 in its efforts to eliminate abuse of older adults in the NWT.
Please contact us if you see an error in any of these reports, for more information on the Society’s work on Preventing Abuse of Older Adults, or if you would like a Creating Safe Communities for Older Adults workshop in your community.